Below steps helps file generation for ASP.NET Website Project using sandcastle
- Install Sandcastle from here: https://sandcastle.codeplex.com/
- Install Sandcastle Help File Builder GUI from here: https://shfb.codeplex.com/
- Install HTML Help 1.x Compiler from here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=14188
- Download the CodeDom.dll from here: https://sandcastlestyles.codeplex.com/releases/view/22689
Add a reference to the above mentioned dll in your project.
- Add the following to the <compilers> section within <system.codedom> section of the web.config: Publish the website. The XML Documentation files would be generated and can be found in the folder specified in /docpath.
- Start Sandcastle Help File Builder GUI. Go to Project Explorer. Click on Document Sources -> Add Document Source. Browse and add the dll file and the .xml file from the /docpath folder to the project.You may want to alter the following properties in the Project Properties window:-
Property Name Description HelpTitle The title for the help file OutputPath The path where the help file will be generated ShowMissingNamespaces If set to true a message is added to the namespace help topics if the namespace comments are missing. ShowMissingValues If set to true a message is added to the help topic if the <value> tag is missing. APIFilter Used to include /exclude elements from the help file.Note: If App_Code classes are not contained within a namespace; manually select them here to make them visible in Help file.
- Click on Documentation -> Build Project to generate the help file.
- After the build process is complete, click on Documentation -> View Help File -> View Help file.